Canang is an offering that cannot be separated from the lives of Balinese people, because Canang is the most important part of the rituals performed by Balinese every day. When you are in Bali, you will always see these objects both on the side of the road, in the temple, in front of the shop, in the tree, in front of the statue, in front of the house, in the car, on the motorbike, everywhere there is always Canang.
The word "Canang" comes from the ancient Balinese language, "ca" which means beautiful and "nang" which means destination. So Canang is a tool for asking for all beautiful things to the God as well as an expression of gratitude because God has given peace to the world. Canang is used as a daily offering and is the simplest offering.
Canang is usually made by women, they make it at night to be offered in the next morning. They make as much as they need, generally 25 to 50 Canang every day. But on holy days according to the Balinese calendar, they even made more, almost twice.
Canang is made from natural ingredients, consisting of several parts including:
1. its base called Ceper is made of young coconut leaves which are cut and folded into a square or triangle or round as a symbol of the body of a creature
2. some rice called Wija are symbols of the spirit
3. the fold of betel leaves containing flakes of lime and gambir fruit called Porosan as a symbol of three life skills are thoughts, words and deeds
4. Pieces of traditional cakes, sugar cane, and bananas as symbols of three natural laws, are birth, life and death
5. A series of young coconut leaves in the shape of a flower circle called Duras as a symbol of the rotation of the world
6. Colorful flowers are describing the diversity
7. The pandanus leaf slice called Kembang Rampai is a symbol of peace and wisdom
Canang is an offering that cannot be separated from the lives of Balinese people, because Canang is the most important part of the rituals performed by Balinese every day.....
Otonan is a ritual to commemorate the birthday of the Balinese but is commemorated every 210 days. Otonan comes from the word "Wetuan" which means meeting.....
For those of you who have a busy life, of course vacation is the best moment to relax. Any vacation feels satisfied. Moreover, you spend it with family or friends.....